This is serious.
A number of people, including myself, shrugged this off a few weeks ago as something that wasn’t going to get this bad.
I was wrong.
Instead of worrying, stressing, and complaining about everything that’s going on, we look ahead and focus on what we can control.
Here’s a concrete approach that you can use:
Set a routine
Having a routine can literally make or break your entire approach throughout this situation. If you’re working from home, which I imagine most people are at this point, you need to approach each day like a workday.
Set your tasks and block time for the things you need to get done. Plan ahead a concrete time for:
- meal prep
- food logging
- leisure time
- social media time (we need a break from this too!!)
Having a routine and planning ahead is key in any situation, but it’s very easy to completely let loose right now and let your goals fall by the wayside.
Let’s get physical
If you’re working from home, find ways to MOVE. Exercise is going to make you feel so much better.
Since you’re already blocking time out for it, choose your workouts or type of physical activity that you want to accomplish and do it daily for a minimum of 20 minutes.
The benefits are exponential and there are no negatives to it.
There’s also a FREE eBook I put together for you if you have no equipment at home
Eat for your goals
This one hits home for me because I am an avid bored eater. If I see a pack of cookies sitting there, I am going to eat too many of them. I recognize that. You may not recognize that and that’s okay, it will be more about setting up your environment to make things easier.
If you have a hard time with “eating on the fly” or you can’t control your cravings at home, here’s what you do:
- Plan your meals and log them ahead of time. You’re home and you control all the variables, use this time to your advantage.
- Put away the snacks in spots that are hard to reach. You will be less likely to hunt for them if there are barriers
- Focus on whole foods. High protein foods, vegetables, and fruits. They can be frozen or canned – it will not harm your body.
If you’re trying to maintain or lose weight right now, you need to focus on your calorie intake. It is the most important part of the whole body composition equation (Calories In vs Calories Out).
- Take social media breaks. There is way too much misinformation and conspiracies and just outlandish stuff that we can only take so much of. Seriously. Get off your phone for a while
- Go to bed and wake up at the same time every day. This will enhance the routine you’re setting up and keep you in a groove.
- Don’t stress or panic. You don’t need a month’s worth of food. There will not be a food shortage. Try and deplete what you have before you head to a grocery store (which is too busy to be safe right now anyway).
- Take this time to plan your life goals. You’re going to be around after this, it’s time to live like it. Try and take a step back from everything we’re in right now and look ahead to when this is over. Will you be proud of everything you did, or will you regret couch surfing and binge eating for weeks?
If you found this helpful or need anything from me during this time, my inbox and social media DMs are always open!
If you want even more hands on help, I am running a 14 day free trial online coaching promotion to help you kick-start your activity and eating habits during this situation. Here’s the link – SIGN UP. No strings attached, no credit cards to sign up – just free coaching!
Stay safe and talk soon,